Every business that uses a computer, email, software and the internet on a daily basis should establish computer security to protect their business on threats from cybercriminals. In most cases, small business are an appealing target for cybercriminals due to their lack of resources in establishing a strong security for their website, accounts and networks systems, thus, making cyberattacks a relatively easy job. Remember, a single successful cyberattack can seriously damage your business. Here are some and simple practices you should implement to strengthen the internet security of your small business:
· Create and implement basic security practices and policies for all your employees to abide and educate them on cyberattacks and the impact it may bring to the business. This will ensure that your staff has appropriate awareness training, so that everyone understands their role in keeping the business secure.
· Frequently back up important data. For added security, encrypt it. Store your backup copies either offsite or in the cloud. Computers and electronic devices must be physically locked and secured to prevent unauthorized access.
· You must require a strong unique password on all your computers to make sure that only authorized individuals have access to the data. Consider creating a password expiration policy or implement a multi-factor authentication that requires additional details aside from a password to gain entry from the system.
· Make yourself updated on latest schemes that cybercriminals do to victimize a business. Learning the newest threats on your business will help you in establishing a plan to protect your business even more.
· Make it a habit of shredding documents and receipts that contain sensitive information such as personal and financial details if it is no longer needed.
· One of the basic precautions to protect your company’s data is to make sure that all computers have antivirus and antispyware software installed and up-to-date. Make use of firewalls and spam filters too for added security.
· Consider the services of a trustworthy company that works with small business to do difficult or time-consuming task. Such as utilizing the payroll service of Automatic Data Processing Inc. (ADP).